Sunday, August 1, 2010

Why I like pentatonics

Wow, this blog took a U-Turn.

That's ok, guitar gives me much more joy than politics ever did.

Why do I like pentatonics?
1. On a finger speed/dexterity scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being John Petrucci/Yngwie Malmsteen, and 1 being the drummer from Def Lepard, I am about a 3. I like the two notes per string.
2. Angular...not quite jazzy as far as scales go.
3. One scale can fit several modes (I will talk about this on another day).
4. Very versatile...for more info Pentatonic Khancepts by Steve Kahn really opened my eyes.

Let me start with the basic minor pentatonic.

Notes
Root - flat third - fourth - fifth - dominant seventh
1. Shape - two notes per string
----5--8--
----5--8--
----5-7---
----5-7---
----5-7---
----5--8--

2. Angular - conains two augmented intervals; root to flat third, and fifth to dominant seventh
3. Modes...can be used in the following modes - dorian (Santana mode), phrygian (Spanish mode) and Aeolian mode (natural minor). I wouldn't recommend it for phrygian because it doesn't have the exotic first to flat second interal which defines the mode.
Also, you can use it under a dominant seventh chord for the "blues" feeling, minor third note vs. the major 3rd in the chord.
4. Versatile - The minor pentatonic contains a the minor seventh arpeggio (root, flat third, fifth, and dominant seventh) and a scalar run (flat third, fourth, fifth).

I am in the future going to break down some pentatonic "modes", modified pentatonics, and various uses. A lot of this may be new, but I just want to approach it from my angle, and this also lets me keep a record of my thoughts.

My two cents...

No comments:

Post a Comment