Sunday, September 12, 2010

Melodic Minor Pentatonic

For some unknown reason, I like the melodic minor. I think one of the reasons is how the modes sound. I will get to that.

I am talking jazz melodic minor, in C, the scale is
C-D-Eb-F-G-A-B

Which can be looked at as either a minor scale with the 6th and 7th degree raised a 1/2 step, or as a major scale with the third lowered a 1/2 step.

Now, let's look at it as a pentatonic.

Standard minor pentatonic is - C-Eb-F-G-Bb
Raise the 7th and the melodic minor pentatonic is C-Eb-F-G-B

Here is a layout that I like to use

- - 11 - 13 -
- - - 12 13 -
-10-12 -
-10 - - 13 -
-10 - - - 14
- - 11- 13 -

I like to use a mix of the minor and melodic minor pentatonics.

I use the minor over the I chord in a blues progression. And to add some flavor, over the IV, I use the melodic minor pentatonic, the B is the #4/b5 of the IV, and the B is the 3rd of the V.

The implied modes are:
Over the IV: Lydian Dominant (R-2-3-#4-5-6-b7)
Over the V: Mixolydian Flat 6 (R-2-3-4-5-b6-b7)

Just a little way of mixing up a blues progression.

My two cents

No comments:

Post a Comment